- Birds have been a source of inspiration to human beings for a very long time.
- 12% of the world's 9,800 species of birds face extinction. This includes 33% of the world's parrot species.
- Birds serve as a valuable alert system in detecting global environmental changes.
- Many parrots and songbirds face extinction due to illegal pet trade, disease, and habitat loss.
- Raising public awareness and educating people about physical and behavioral needs of pet birds can help improve the welfare of millions of birds who are kept in captivity.
- The survival of the world's birds depends upon educating others and supporting bird habitat conservation.
If you are considering having a bird as a pet, don't think it's going to be an easy task. Birds are very high maintenance pets. They require grooming, proper nutrition, good husbandry, lots of socialization, mental stimulation, play time, veterinary care, and much more. Did you know that some types of parrots can live to be over 50 years old? Are you ready for such a long commitment? Please be prepared!
Also, if you do decide to get a pet bird, you should adopt! That's right - there are plenty of birds out there who are looking for their forever homes. The Avian Welfare Coalition is a wonderful place to find a bird in need.