It shouldn't be hard to find a kitten or young cat to adopt from your local animal shelter or cat rescue, but don't forget that senior cats also have plenty of love to give as well. Plus, adopting a senior cat means they may already be mellowed out.
Regardless of the age of the cat you plan to adopt, they all need good homes and families to care for them. So in honor of Adopt a Cat Month in June, we are sharing 9 reasons why cats make great pets. Cats are said to have 9 lives after all. Of course, there are probably hundreds of reasons why cats make great pets but we'll stick to 9 for now.
- Cats are cute. 'Nuff said.
- Cats are very entertaining creatures. They are even fun to watch in their sleep.
- Purring. Is there anything more soothing than the purr of a happy kitty?
- Cats are easy to potty train.
- Cats are stress relievers. They just make you feel good.
- They rule the internet.
- Cats make great cuddle partners.
- You don't need to give them a bath. They usually take care of that themselves.
- Pet cats can live a long time. Sometimes 20 years or more.
If you are considering adopting a cat, please make sure you're ready first. This cat adoption checklist from the American Humane Association is a very useful resource. And if you're not sure where to find a kitty of your own, you can find plenty of them available for adoption at Petfinder.
Help celebrate Adopt a Cat Month by sharing the news about just how wonderful cats as pets are! And let us know why YOUR cat is a great pet for you in the comments.