There are lots of GOOD reasons why you should pick up your dog's poop and not very many good reasons why you shouldn't. If you aren't aware of the hazards and health risks of dog poop, here's just a few:
- Dog poop can carry and transmit parasites and viruses.
- No one likes to step in dog poop.
- Dog poop is bad for the environment. It gets washed into our water system with rain and can be harmful to aquatic life. Not to mention, no one wants to drink dog poop water.
- It's the law. Many places have rules and restrictions on proper disposal of dog waste.
These are just some of the reasons why you need to scoop your dog's poop. So why doesn't everybody do it? There may be people who are just uneducated about the hazards of dog poop. These people might be genuinely unaware of all of this. Which is why we like to remind everyone every month.
And then, there are people who just don't do it. Why? I don't know exactly, but I do have some thoughts about the dumb reasons why people don't scoop their dog's poop.
- They are lazy and just don't want to.
- They believe dog poop is natural and it's just manure for the lawn. (Not true, by the way.)
- They don't want to spend money on waste bags.
- If the dog poops on someone else's lawn, it's OK.
- No one is around to see, so it's OK.
- It's their yard. If they want dozens of landmines on it, more power to them?
- Dog poop is gross and they don't want to touch, see, or smell it.
The last bullet there may not be such a dumb reason, although owning a dog can have some pretty gross moments that dog owners should be prepared for. I once met a man who nearly vomited at the sight of some poop. It was a little dramatic and odd, but perhaps he had a phobia.
We do have a #ScoopThatPoop giveaway this month for those of you who just do not like the feel of poop in your hand. Don't worry, you're not the only one. There are lots of people who don't like it. This giveaway is for an Easy Scoop a Poop, which is product that takes the yuck out of pet waste pick up. The Easy Scoop a Poop allows you to easily pick up your dog's waste without ever having to actually feel it in your hand.
Sugar the Golden Retriever has written a review of this product and if you'd like to know more about it and how it works, just check out her review here. To enter the giveaway, just fill out the giveaway form below. This giveaway is open to residents of the 48 contiguous United States & D.C., ages 18+.