While it may be easy to share time spent outdoors and a good time with out pets, it may not be so easy to share tasty Mexican food and a cocktail with them. Table food and alcoholic beverages are not good for dogs and cats, so you should avoid giving these items to them.
Instead, I have a safe and easy to make alternative for pet parents who'd like to include their pets in their Cinco de Mayo celebrations. It's called the "PAWgarita", and it's a a spin off of the classic Mexican cocktail, the margarita. It's a completely pet safe cocktail that either a dog or cat can enjoy as a special treat. Best of all? It couldn't be simpler to make!
Ingredients to Make a PAWgarita
You'll need just a couple of ingredients to make a PAWgarita. You probably already have these items in your kitchen pantry.
- Low-sodium chicken broth (You may substitute chicken broth for any kind of broth you like - beef, fish, vegetable, etc.)
- Olive oil or other cooking oil
- Crunchy dog/cat treats or kibble
- A meaty garnish (I used Spot Farms Chicken Apple Sausage treats.)
- A Margarita cocktail glass. (Plastic is recommended.)
How to Make a PAWgarita
Enjoying a refreshing pet-friendly cocktail with your furry friend this Cinco de Mayo can be so easy! Here's how to make a PAWgarita for your pet:
- First, make crumbs out of your crunchy dog or cat treats or kibble. These are going to serve as the "salt" for the PAWgarita. You can crumble up the treats a number of different ways. Try placing them in a plastic baggy and smashing them up. Or, you can try using a food processor.
- Dip your thumb and index finger in a little bit of cooking oil. Line the rim of your margarita glass with a thin layer of oil.
- Place your treat crumbs on a plate and dip your oil lined margarita glass in the treat crumbs until you are satisfied with the amount of crumbs sticking to the rim of the glass.
- Add your chicken broth (or other type of broth) to the glass. You can serve the broth at whatever temperature your pet prefers - cold, warm, or room temperature. You can even serve your PAWgarita "on the rocks" if you want to!
- Garnish! No cocktail is complete without a pretty garnish. I cut a slit into the Spot Farms Chicken Apple Sausage treat and placed on the side of the margarita glass.
That's it! Easy to make and definitely easy to enjoy. I purchased a plastic margarita glass for this project because it was cheaper and I was afraid my dog would knock it over and break it.
I also served up some more of the garnish on the side for a snack. Everyone should enjoy a tasty snack with their cocktail.
Shiner thoroughly enjoyed drinking her Mexican cocktail for pets and it was gone very quickly. She made a mess slurping it up, but thankfully she did not knock her glass over.
Callie also enjoyed a few sips of the PAWgarita. She didn't want to overdo herself so she took it slow. I guess she has better self control than the dog. ;)
How does your pet like their PAWgaritas? On the rocks, frozen, with or without crumbs? Let us know in the comments and enjoy your Cinco de Mayo!
This post contains affiliate links! That means if you click those links and make a purchase, we make a small commission from the sale.