This post is sponsored by PetInsuranceQuotes.com. Pawsitively Pets only shares information we feel is relevant to our readers. All opinions expressed here are our own. PetInsuranceQuotes.com is not responsible for the content of this article.
Pet insurance is health insurance for your pet. If they suddenly become sick or injured, it can help with veterinary bills. Emergency care for pets is usually not cheap, and the bills that come with it can be quite a burden on your wallet.
With so many pet insurance companies out there with different plans and policies, it might make your head spin just trying to choose the best one. When choosing a pet insurance plan, these are your main options:
- Accident Only Policies - These plans are cheaper than others, but will only cover vet bills that are related to accidents. Accidents might include things like getting hit by a car, stepping on something sharp and needing stitches, etc. They do not cover sudden illnesses, which are actually more likely to occur than an accident.
- Accident & Illness Policies - These plans will cover both accidents and illnesses. It will cover everything except for routine care, such as wellness exams. However, pet insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions.
- Routine Care Policies - You can add these plans to other policies. They will cover the cost of annual visits, spaying and neutering, and vaccinations.
For more good information about choosing a pet insurance plan, PetInsuranceQuotes.com has a helpful guide here.
Choosing a Pet Insurance Company
So now that you know a little more about the types of pet insurance plans available, how do you know which pet insurance company to go with? Here are a few things to consider when choosing a pet insurance company:
- Customer reviews - Do some online research and find out what people are saying about pet insurance companies. Reading online reviews is a good way to look at customer feedback.
- Ask your friends - Do you have friends with pets? Ask them which pet insurance company they use and how they like it.
- Ask your vet - Your veterinarian will likely have some pet insurance company recommendations too.
- Does the company meet your needs? - You need to do your own research as well and find out if the pet insurance company offers the type of pet insurance plan you are looking for. You will also need to find something within your budget.
- Get a quote - There is an online tool called PetInsuranceQuotes.com that you can use to get free pet insurance quotes from several different pet insurance companies. You can find this tool here.
There are a total of 12 pet insurance companies in the US. You can find a list of them all with rankings here.
Getting Pet Insurance Quotes With PetInsuranceQuotes.com
I wanted to share this helpful tool with everyone because it makes things so much easier. You visit the website and input some basic information about your pet. I used it with my pets to try it out personally. After inputting my cat's information, I received recommendations from 3 of the top pet insurance companies.
I click "see my quote" and am then taken to the pet insurance company's website to review the prices and plans available. It makes it easy to compare. You will receive the quotes in your email and can also view them directly from the pet insurance company's website.
If you're in the market for pet insurance, I recommend giving PetInsuranceQuotes.com a try along with perusing the other advice listed above.
Have you ever purchased pet insurance for your pet? How did you choose a pet insurance plan and company? Share with us in the comments!