Having a history as a vet tech myself, National Veterinary Technician Week is something I try to always write about each year on my blog. Vet techs are like nurses, except they care for animals and not people. They are tasked with a number of duties on a daily basis. Vet techs work long, hard hours usually for low pay. But, they do it because they love it.
This week (or any week) if you are thinking about saying "thanks" to the vet techs who help care for your pets, I have a few simple ideas for you. They will appreciate the kind gestures during their special week.
6 Simple Ways to Give Thanks to Your Favorite Vet Techs
- Bring breakfast. Vet techs usually have to wake up very early to get to work. They LOVE eating breakfast - the most important meal of the day! Stop and pick up a few breakfast tacos to drop off at your vet clinic.
- Bring snacks. Seriously - vet techs love food. Food might be the fastest way to a vet tech's heart. Working so hard can really make a person hungry. Bake cookies, buy some chips and dip, a bag of candy, a fruit bouquet, order a pizza for lunch. Anything really!
- Send a card. Something as simple as a card with a heart-felt thank you note inside is really nice. And yes, your vet techs will probably read it and feel valued.
- Coffee. Again, back to the breakfast thing. Buy some delicious coffee for the office coffee maker or hand out some $5 Starbucks cards. I never could have survived being a vet tech without my coffee.
- Leave a good review or nice note online. Often times, when people have a bad experience with a business they are hasty to leave a negative review online. Most people don't take the time to write a nice review about a place they love. Take 5 minutes from your day to leave a nice review of your vet clinic, and don't forget to mention how awesome the vet techs are!
- Just say "thank you". If you are going to be at the vet clinic this week, just take a second to say thanks to the vet techs there. Otherwise, pick up the phone and give them a call. It's not everyday they get phones calls like that, so it will be appreciated.
And to all the vet techs out there, we would like to send out a BIG Thank You! Vet techs are amazing and we love them. What do you love about your pets' vet techs? Share your stories with us!