What is enrichment and why is it important for your dog? Enrichment is a means to add mental and physical stimulation to your dog's life with puzzles, games, training, and socialization. Enrichment activities are meant to tap into your dog's natural canine instincts and behaviors.
PAW5 is launching their #PAW5EnrichedLifeChallenge to dog parents. PAW5 is dedicated to providing enrichment for dogs through thoughtful product design and education. This program will challenge dog parents to provide their dog with 5 days of enrichment to challenge their furry friend's mind and body in healthy and rewarding enrichment activities. We are joining the challenge starting on October 17th and hope you will join us!
There are six defined categories of enrichment. Dog parents can choose the category that best suits their dog.
1. Sensory - This includes anything that stimulates your dog's senses. Sight, sound, taste, smell, and touch.
2. Feeding - By employing the power of your dog's nose and brain, you can encourage your dog to use their natural hunting and foraging skills at meal time.
3. Toys and Puzzles - These encourage your dog to manipulate them for a reward. The reward is usually food or treats, but could also include plush, rubber, rope, and fetch toys.
4. Environmental - Adding new things to your dog's life can sometimes increase their physical activity and make things more interesting. Try adding a mirror to a room in your house, build a ramp in the backyard, or go for a hike in a new place.
5. Social - Interaction with other people and other dogs builds self confidence and trust. Visiting the pet store, the dog park, or even a friend's house can help keep your dog well socialized.
6. Training - Training can help strengthen the bond you have with your dog. It helps to build trust plus your dog will learn basic and important listening skills.
PAW5 has created a 5 day schedule for their #PAW5EnrichedLifeChallenge. Each day is designed to insert enrichment into your dog's life with all of the 6 enrichment categories above.
During the challenge, we will be utilizing our PAW5 Rock N Bowl and the PAW5 Wooly Snuffle Mat. The Wooly Snuffle Mat is a new enrichment item from PAW5 that engages a dog's sense of smell as the snuffle, snort, and sniff their way through dinner time. If you don't have these items just yet, don't worry! You can still join the fun with plenty of other enrichment activities.
I really like this product and I think Shiner enjoys using it too. It's a bit different than other types of puzzles and toys, but I believe that's why it works out perfect for my dog. She can figure out most puzzle feeding toys, but would rather not bother with them and sometimes doesn't get all the food out. She's more of a "just put the food in the bowl" type of girl. You can check her out in action in the video below.
For more information about the PAW5 Enriched Life Challenge and activity ideas, just click here. Share how your 5 days go in the comments below and share with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram with the hashtag #PAW5EnrichedLifeChallenge. Good luck and have fun!
We received a PAW5 Wooly Snuffle Mat at no charge. Pawsitively Pets only shares information we feel is relevant to our readers. All thoughts and opinions are our own.