The good news is that accidents can be prevented if you know what's dangerous to your small pet. We have a list of some Holiday Hazards to watch out for this season.
- Wires - Many of the small pets listed above love to chew on anything they can get their paws on. Keep wires to Christmas lights and decorations out of your small pet's reach.
- Christmas Lights - Some of the lights we use to decorate our homes with can also be hazardous to a small animal. They could cause burns or if your pet decides to chew on the light, this could also cause injury by broken glass.
- Fire and Open Flames - Candles and lighting the fireplace are popular this time of year. Of course, any flame can cause burns to your pet so make sure to keep them away from these things.
- Candles - In addition to the hazards above, the fumes from many candles are not safe to use around birds and are toxic to them.
- Food - Not all Holiday foods are safe for small pets! While each species has its own special dietary needs, the list of foods unsafe for pets is pretty standard. You should avoid feeding chocolate, alcohol, sugary and salty foods, and anything sweetened with xylitol.
- Stress - The Holiday Season can be a stressful time for any pet. There are new sights, sounds, and smells going on and your pet may not understand why. Most exotic small pets are nocturnal, including hamsters, hedgehogs, and even leopard geckos. Decorative lights or music turned on during your pet's sleeping hours could cause loss of sleep and result in stress. Be mindful of when your pet is trying to catch some shut eye.
- Stangers - Family and friends entering your home could also be stressful to your small pet. If small children wish to hold your pet, make sure you explain to them how to handle them first. If you are not comfortable with this, then simply don't allow it.
- Plants - Plants like mistletoe, poinsettia, holly, and others are toxic to animals. Because many small pets like to eat greens and plants, it's best to keep these away from yours.
If your pet has been injured or is ill, please contact your veterinarian immediately. If you suspect your small pet has eaten something toxic, you should also contact a veterinarian. There is also a Pet Poison Helpline you can call.
The Holiday Season should be a time of celebration. By following these tips and keeping your small pet safe during all the festivities, you should have no trouble! No one wants to make an emergency trip to the veterinarian on Christmas Eve after all.
If you have any extra tips for keeping small pets safe this Holiday Season, please share them with us in the comments!