I was worried about using this particular product however because it did not say it was food grade and it made me wonder how safe it was. I made sure to keep my kids and pets away while I was treating my carpets until I could get it all cleaned up.
About a month ago, I was asked to try out a different Diatomaceous Earth product - Abundant Living's Natural Diatomaceous Earth Powder. It was after I received this particular product that I learned more about DE and how I can effectively use it for my pets and my home.
With my 1 lb bottle of Abundant Living's Natural Diatomaceous Earth Powder, I received a free guide on how to use it. The guide was emailed to me, but it's also available on their website here.
5 Ways to Use Diatomaceous Earth
There are definitely more than five ways you can use DE, but these five struck me as quite useful. Especially when it comes to getting rid of bugs. Some of you may know of my Spring and Summer struggles with bugs this year.
- Use in your dog's kennel or cat's litter box to absorb odors and moisture. Something I would have never thought to use DE for before.
- Use to absorb spills and accidents. Abundant Living recommends using their Natural Diatomaceous Earth Powder for accidents like a child wetting the bed or your dog peeing on the carpet/couch. I am going to try this next time Shiner has a pee accident in the house. It can also be used for spilled drinks and oil leaks in the driveway.
- Treat your home naturally for fleas. Diatomaceous Earth is well-known for it's ability to kill bugs. You can use DE to naturally and effectively kill fleas in your home. In fact, you can kill other bugs too. Just know your bug and their life cycle so that you can treat properly. I can attest that it does work.
- Treat mites, fleas, and ticks on your pet. I know there are many people who are wary about the types of parasite control they use on their pets. Abundant Living is non-toxic and safe to use on your pet. You can apply it directly to the animal and then massage it into their fur or feathers.
- Keep unwanted pests out of your garden. One of the challenges of gardening is keeping the bugs away. You just need to draw a line or circle with the DE around the plants you'd like to protect.
How I've Used Abundant Living's Natural Diatomaceous Earth PowderI've been using this product for about a month now, and I'd say that overall I am pleased with it. Abundant Living's Natural Diatomaceous Earth Powder is non-toxic, safe when used correctly, natural, and food grade. It's important that you use food grade DE around your children and pets. This means it's safe enough to consume.
Since I've been having a bit of an ant problem around my home, that's what I've been using this product for. Any time I notice an ant invasion, I grab for my bottle of DE rather than the highly toxic ant spray I had been using before. This DE powder is odorless and it's a nice change from those stinky bug sprays.
I applied the powder directly to some ants who were invading my cat's food bag. Within the hour, the ants had retreated or died.
To prevent ants from coming in, I drew lines with the DE powder in places where they commonly come in. Window sills, the entrance to my laundry room, etc.
For my laundry room, I applied a line of DE across the doorway and have not seen a single ant come back in there since I've done this. In the kitchen, I applied a line on the window sills. I have had to reapply the Abundant Living Natural Diatomaceous Earth Powder once, but I assume it could be due to moisture that may get in that area from the sink.
I like the bottle of this product because it has a unique "squirt" bottle style lid which makes it easy to apply. When I first received Abundant Living's Natural Diatomaceous Earth Powder, I was worried that it wasn't very big. I have a 1 lb bottle. However, I think this is a good size for around the house and after a month of use I still have plenty left.
Abundant Living is a family owned company in rural south central Kentucky. The vision of Abundant Living is to empower people to live each day abundantly. They achieve this by providing education and high quality products to their customers.
Not only did I receive a product I feel confident using around my pets, kids, and home, I learned so much about Diatomaceous Earth and how to use it.
Abundant Living's Natural Diatomaceous Earth Powder is affordable and available for purchase on Amazon here.
Have you used Diatomaceous Earth before? What did you use it for? Tell us in the comments!
This post is sponsored by Abundant Living LLC. We are being compensated to help spread the word about Abundant Living Natural Diatomaceous Earth Powder, but Pawsitively Pets only shares information we feel is relevant to our readers. All opinions expressed here are our own. This post contains affiliate links.