Most of the time, I give the pets small gifts for Christmas. My dog especially loves to be included during Christmas and knows how to open her gifts. This year, I decided to make Shiner a Dog Treat Advent Calendar so she can celebrate all month long.
This DIY Dog Treat Advent Calendar is easy to make. I used Milk-Bone® and Pup-Peroni® which are sold at Walmart. That's where I found all of my craft supplies too. Or you can use supplies you have on hand around the house to cut down on cost if you like. Today, I'm sharing the tutorial for how I made my Dog Treat Advent Calendar. It's a fun and simple Holiday craft project!
Supplies You'll Need
As mentioned above, you can use things you already have on hand or change things up to make it your own unique project. Here is what I used to make my Dog Treat Advent Calendar:
- Piece of Cardboard
- Fabric or Wrapping Paper (Enough to cover the cardboard.)
- Foam Letters
- Miniature Clothespins
- Treat Bags or Sandwich Bags
- Stapler (or glue)
- Milk-Bone and Pup-peroni dog treats
DIY Dog Treat Advent Calendar Tutorial
This DIY craft project is fun for kids too. I had my daughters help me bag Milk-Bone and Pup-peroni dog treats, cut and tie ribbons, and hang the treats on the calendar with the clothespins. Here's how I made it:
- Cut a piece of cardboard to your desired size. (Helpful to lay things out on the cardboard BEFORE you add the fabric to make sure everything fits how you want it to.)
- Cut your fabric about 1" - 2" (or more) larger than the cardboard.
- Staple the fabric around the perimeter of the cardboard. You could use fabric glue or a hot glue gun for this step too. Or replace fabric with wrapping paper if you like.
- Once your cardboard is covered, measure lengths of ribbon to fit on your cardboard horizontally. Staple the pieces of ribbon on each side of the cardboard. I used 4 pieces of ribbon so that I could hang 6 dog treat bags each on them.
- Next, you can bag your Milk-Bone and Pup-peroni dog treats! I closed mine with pieces of ribbon. My calendar has a total of 24 dog treat bags. That's enough to last from December 1st - 24th.
- Hang the baggies on your Dog Treat Advent Calendar with the miniature clothespins.
- To make your Dog Treat Advent Calendar extra special, you can add some decorations to it. I found some cute foam letters and spelled the word "WOOF" at the top of mine.
- To hang it on the wall above Shiner's dog bed area, I cut a long piece of ribbon and stapled the ends to each side of the top of the cardboard. I used a thumbtack in the wall to hang it from.
This holiday season, don't forget to #TreatThePups too! You can find Milk-Bone and Pup-peroni dog treats at Walmart. If you can't find the time to make a Dog Treat Advent Calendar like ours, your dog would still appreciate some of these treats in their stockings.
And for more DIY inspiration from Big Heart Pet Brands, check out some of these suggestions!
Milk-Bone are wholesome and delicious treats you can feel good about giving your dog. Pup-peroni has real meat as the #1 ingredient with a mouthwatering aroma that dogs simply can't resist. Shiner is in for a real treat this month!
Do you include your dog in your holiday celebrations and traditions?